Hanbleceya is a values – oriented community. Our community culture was originally founded on the Native American philosophy that emphasized personal spirituality as an important element of recovery, a sense of community, and a desire to excel.
We promote the belief that each person is responsible for his or her own recovery and as part of this community, each person provides vital support to other community members. The community culture offers the opportunity to build upon various characteristics and beliefs that provide a foundation for recovery and achieving success in the world:
- Integrity – The state of being whole and honest
- Responsibility – Taking responsibility for one’s own behavior and being responsible to others
- Openness – Fosters acceptance
- Spirituality – Finding one’s own inner strength is an integral part of the healing journey
- Self-Soothing – Learning to calm anxiety and adopt a mindful approach
- Self-Discovery – The opportunity to connect with oneself
- Ceremony and Tradition – Creates unity and cohesion; recognizes change and changeability
- Celebration – Supportive social interaction; important milestones remembered
- Commitment – the value in taking risks and courage to become a part of something greater than oneself
- Leadership – Balance, vision and initiative
- Confronting Passivity – Encouragement to take an active role in creating balance in life
- Confrontation – Awareness: bring to one’s attention something overlooked or dismissed
- Support – Increases self-esteem, motivation for continued change, and ability for decision-making
- Acknowledgement – Encourages love, appreciation, recognition, and compassion for oneself
Culture, like a roadmap, gives each individual a healing direction. The roadmap of culture in a therapeutic community marks out boundaries that provide safety and containment along a variety of healing paths. Like a knowledgeable trail guide, culture can give useful tips about dead-ends to avoid, resources of possible use and shortcuts to hasten the journey.
The Hanbleceya community culture is based on love, integrity, compassion and acceptance. At the same time, inspired by Native American culture, Hanbleceya holds each community member, staff and client alike, accountable for themselves and responsible for their environment. In many Native American cultures a person works for the good of the whole tribe or community whereas traditional Western culture has focused more and more upon the person alone or within his or her nuclear family. At Hanbleceya, we seek to bridge the two to provide families struggling with severe illness in isolation the resources of a village.
Some of the most effective, meaningful feedback community members receive, they tell us, is that delivered by peers.
The community culture of Hanbleceya helps structure a supportive foundation for individual healing. People heal by receiving what is needed; people also heal by helping others learn along the way. As members work together towards wellness, relationships are formed which further support each members healing. As relationships deepen, community members learn to recognize a person for themselves, apart from their behavior.
Together, community members make decisions that affect the community as a whole, recognizing that each person’s actions have an effect on the entire community. Members hold each other accountable via caring confrontation and acknowledge each other’s progress and success. Some of the most effective, meaningful feedback community members receive, they tell us, is that delivered by peers.