Rock to Recovery was created to help soothe the restless souls of those in recovery by creating a “band” and writing and recording songs together with Rock to Recovery’s staff of professional musicians, who themselves are also in recovery. They help bring fun into treatment and recovery by offering a natural escape from the fear-based mind. This helps people grow a sense of belonging and self esteem in addition to helping client’s vent emotions by writing lyrics and singing together for release, in real-time. Rock to Recovery promotes a positive theme of hope in recovery.
Music is a powerful tool, proven to help soothe the soul. For someone in mental health or addiction recovery, learning to have clean and sober fun, feeling a part of, connecting to a group, and quieting the mind are keys to a successful new life. Rock to Recovery gives our clients a chance to have fun expressing themselves, working as a group, and experiencing the natural high only music can produce.
The Rock to Recovery group meets every Thursday evening at the Hanbleceya center.
“The power of music to integrate and cure is quite fundamental. It is the profoundest nonchemical medication.”
Oliver Sacks, Awakenings
- Transform emotional state from restless, irritable discontent to happy, joyous and free
- Connect to peers/work as a group
- Channel & release emotions/express feelings
- Unique entry into self awareness
- Get out of the ‘comfort-zone’
- Raise self-esteem
- Discover hidden talents
- Participating as a group/social skills
- Playing music & singing is a spiritual experience
- Increase levels of Oxytocin
- Learn sobriety/recovery can be FUN
- Communication/language skills
- Social skills
- Executive functioning/cognitive skills
- Enhance memory function
- Manage stress